Sunday, May 04, 2008

In Which I Learn How to Ride a Bike and the House Gets an Unexpected Washdown

Soon after the snow started melting early last month, dad took us all on a walk one Saturday up to the Ethan’s school and back. Ethan rode the bike on the way there and I rode it on the way back – it was so fun! Only problem is, there's only one bike, so we had to share it.

Well, no longer! Three weeks ago, after seeing how well we were able to pick up riding on two wheels one Monday, we both got new bikes with 20” wheels! Since the first day, Ethan’s been great at riding on a two-wheeler, and even started riding to school and back pretty soon thereafter. I was a little more hesitant, and asked to keep training wheels on my bike, which mom was happy to let me do until she got frustrated with how far ahead I get with the training wheels on! My training wheels are off again, and I definitely have my fair share of knee scrapes and elbow bruises, but I’m slowly getting better – I don’t even need to use the porch steps to help mount/dismount anymore! And, of course, now that I’m starting to figure it out, mom’s plan to slow me down is starting to backfire, as I’m getting faster than ever!

The same week we got new bikes, we went camping overnight in Pinckney State Recreation Area. We haven’t been camping since Stettler, Alberta, about a year and a half ago! Ethan and I really got into it – wading in the water, building a fire, roasting marshmallows, sleeping in the big boy tent (as opposed to the small girl tent that mom and Lilly slept in), and peeing on trees in the great outdoors. Some things I guess belong only to the camping world though, as dad didn’t seem too impressed to find us peeing on the side of the house one day when he came home from work a couple of weeks ago, and mom was likewise unimpressed to find me peeing on the basement floor today.

Still, those little hiccups aside, I’m looking forward to going camping again soon! Maybe we’ll even get to go canoeing next time!

No comments: